Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Unit 3 Reflection

This unit was all about the cardiovascular system. Not only did we learn about the heart, but we learned about everything else that is surrounding the heart (arteries, veins, etc.) Through this, we learn the anatomy of the circulatory system as well as the physiology. This gives us insight on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle to keep these parts of our body functioning in a healthy and normal fashion.
The cardiovascular system is a complex network in our body that uses a series of tubes (vessels, veins, arteries) to transfer nutrients and removes waste within a multicellular animal.
Cardiovascular health is what we do to avoid cardiovascular diseases. This calls for living a healthy lifestyle of exercise and clean eating. Heart attacks are often caused from atherosclerosis lack of exercise, overweight, vasoconstrictor, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, HBP, or high cholesterol. Although sometimes genetics play a huge roll on whether or not you get this disease, but usually, if one is doing everything for a healthy lifestyle, they should be able to not be affected by this.

(Was absent for heart chalk walk.)

My family has a history from getting strokes/heart attacks so I am very aware of a lot that we have learned this unit. My mom had a high cholesterol and changed her lifestyle by going on marathons, eating clean, and keeping a positive mentality. The doctors tell her that she is doing great and all she has to do is keep up her good habits. My mother is teaching me about a better lifestyle and I am slowly becoming more aware about how important it is to take care of yourself.

This unit, I was gone a lot because of a hectic schedule of traveling and getting sick. I was gone for a couple lectures. But thankfully, Mr. Orre posted the lectures online and it really helped. Although it was a struggle to keep up, I felt that I learned so much more about cardiovascular diseases than what I already knew. Heart attack is a topic I take personally just because my family has a long history of it. This unit has given me a way better understanding on why it happens. I really focused on the prevention aspect of it all. I wish I focused more on the other important topics we learned this unit for a more well-rounded learning experience. I feel that I have improved as a student this unit because I think I juggled my hectic schedule with anatomy and physiology, other school classes, and extracurriculars as best as I could. I worked very hard and although not everything came out perfectly, I'm just happy that I tried and worked really hard to accomplish my set goals.

I kind of achieved my goal from unit 2 by sleeping on the airplane or at home when I was sick. I knew not to push myself too far and I was more aware of my well-being. For the remainder of the semester, I just want to finish all of my classes strong and get all my college applications sent in for a relaxing break and second semester senior year.

No comments:

Post a Comment